Running a food business from home (UK)
To do list
This section provides a summary on how to start your Food business from home (UK). This is just a summary, but do comment below, if you have any questions.
- REGISTER YOUR COMPANY– I have found that registering with the formations company is fast, easy and straightforward. You can either choose to register as a SOLE TRADER or as a limited liability company (LTD). See link to register your company HERE. Make sure you make note of your company number and always have it to hand. The rest of your entrepreneural journey would be sooo much easier if you know it. Kind of similar to knowing your National insurance number!
- OPEN A BUSINESS BANK ACCOUNT – Money saving expert website does a good job listing the pro’s and con’s of different business bank accounts. See Link HERE
- LEVEL 2 FOOD AND HYGIENE COURSE – Virtual college provides you with options for an online, multiple choice exam. You might want to book a first aid course close to your home. I carried out my training with St John Ambulance see link for first aid course HERE and See link for virtual college HERE
- ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICERS IN YOUR LOCAL AREA – I have provided a link to find the local council in the area where you live. Insert your postcode, once the results appear for the council thats responsible for your home or business. Then you would need visit google again and search environmental health office [INSERT COUNCIL NAME HERE]. Link to find your local council is HERE
- Get a website: I would recommend TSG THAT SMALL GIRL, great portfolio and she is very versatile with the different websites she can help you build i.e ecommerce website that integrates a shopping cart or just a blogging website, she can build you one.
- Get a virtual land line: Its cheaper than the typical big contenders and what they offer i.e BT OR Virgin. With virtual landline, any calls that come through to the landline number you have purchased, is rerouted to your personal or business mobile phone. As at 2019 they charge us £6.99 per month, for a landline number in manchester which we chose, but it is better than a fixed landline, because with the calls being rerouted to a mobile phone you carry your business with you. They have lots of options such as an automated voice introduction for anyone who calls to hear your company name, or a whisper introduction, in the event that you are routing the call to your personal mobile. This allows you know its a business call and you get to answer it professionally vs how you usually pick up your other calls. To sign up with Virtual landline Click HERE
(*Disclaimer* Yettis kitchen is not an affiliate of any of the companies of links available on this blog. We only provide them as points of reference to help our community. The information displayed here applies to food, cakes desserts etc Depending on your business model, we believe it possible to monetise it via these platforms)
In order of preference to Yettis Kitchen as at 2015 to 2019;
- JUST EAT: To join just eat or to find out more about their charges and the whole process click HERE (Only contact them if you are 3 weeks away from opening…if you call earlier than that, they will not sign you up and send you the ipad/Order Pad.)
- UBER EATS: To join Uber eats or to find out more about their charges and the whole process click HERE
- DELIVEROO: To join Deliveroo or to find out more about their charges and the whole process click HERE
We would cover the do’s and dont’s of each of these 3rd party platforms in a different post. Be sure to subscribe to our podcast form below, so you are alerted about the next episode. if you have any topics you would like us to cover, please send us an email email@example.com
Many thanks for reading this, and do remember to share. Im giving out this information for free, you can help others too with the information.